Friday, August 1, 2014

Facing Poverty

Crazy how fast time goes –Dhaka is already growing distant as Nepal becomes more and more of my life! 
GB Interns
While at Grameen Bank, I was with other interns.  We were lucky to have an incredible group of people from all over and who got along really well. We covered the U.S., Canada, China, Indonesia/India, Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, and Singapore (did I get everyone?) – pretty impressive! Together we traveled to Sylhet, completed village visits, explored Dhaka’s expat scene, and managed the day-to-day challenges of living in a developing country.
Rickshaw Art
One of the most memorable parts was a treasure-hunt-like challenge to find rickshaw art. It took Connor (the other American), Simi (from India but lives in Indonesia) and I three trips into the depths of Old Dhaka before we succeeded.

The second day we returned from Old Dhaka in the heat of rush hour, around 4:00 pm. Our CNG driver did his best to avoid traffic by taking us on a long route around the city. We drove through some really poor sections of Dhaka, areas that make you question many things about your identity. At one point, when we were stopped in traffic, I noticed a woman crouched by the side of the road practically up to her knees in garbage. My first thought was “I’d need rain boots before I’d walk in there.” How naïve of me, how demonstrative a thought of my first world upbringing, how easy a life I have had. Next to her was a basket, which she placed items deemed salvageable as she picked through the waste. To be honest, my mind was a little frozen. I was ashamed by my privileged-based immediate reaction and aching at the injustice of fate.
This intensity of poverty is not a new exposure for me, yet it does not get any easier. It leaves me unsettled, angry with the world’s hierarchy and frustrated by the overwhelming complexity of a solution. However, looking at microfinance and women’s empowerment provides me hope, as the dedicated individuals I have met in Nepal are filled with energy and determination.

Visiting Women's Group in Bangladesh
Planning Village Meeting with Bindu, ADWAN Board Member
This Sunday I will depart for a weeklong field visit to women’s groups and interview ADWAN’s “Ambitious Girl Fund” recipients. ADWAN’s target population is the bottom of the hierarchy in Nepali society as they focus on Dalit (the so-called “untouchables”) women. I know there will be many moments that will leave me overwhelmed, but I hope I can remain receptive and grounded.

- T
Posted from Thamel, KTM, Nepal

No comments:

Post a Comment